Wellness : Heart Focused Breathing
Many of the traditional wisdom teachings from around the world point to the heart as the seat of consciousness. The heart is our connection to a consciousness greater than our ego. Approaching life with an open heart opens the door to this greater consciousness.
To some degree, approaching life with an open heart is as simple as shifting your attention to your heart. Simple yet profound, the heart-focused breath and feeling technique will access your heart’s intelligence and its connection to a higher state of consciousness. As a result, you’ll be more open to practice some of the heart’s greatest lessons— patience, compassion and unconditional love.
By creating a state of coherence between the heart and mind, within as few as 60 seconds, you can relieve stress and replace feelings of frustration, irritation, anxiety and anger with feelings of positivity and calm. When you are in a coherent state of being, your thoughts and emotions are balanced and you perform at your best by accessing intuition, creativity and higher-level decision making.
Use this technique whenever you experience draining moments or trying times, however subtle they may be, before any meeting or anytime you simply want to feel good.
STEP 1: Heart Focus
Focus your attention on the heart area in the center of your chest. The first few times you practice this technique, place your hand on the center of your chest to help you maintain your heart focus.
STEP 2: Heart Breathing
• Imagine your breath is flowing in and out of your heart area. Slow and deepen your breath, more than usual.
• Feel your breath flowing in through the heart as you inhale and out through the heart as you exhale.
• Continue breathing in this manner until you establish a rhythm that feels natural to you.
STEP 3: Heart Feeling
• As you maintain your heart focus and heart breathing, generate a positive feeling by bringing your attention to a time when you felt good inside. One way to generate a heart feeling is to remember a special place you’ve been to or the love you feel for a close friend, family member or pet.
• Now experience the feelings of appreciation, gratitude and love. This is the most important step in the technique.
This blog post was written by Aveda.